Recipe for Success – Chef Matthew’s Fried Fish and Grits
This edition features Chef Matthew and his love for family.
Why this recipe?
I love this dish because it reminds me of family. When I was younger, my older family members would go deep sea fishing and bring back their catches to fry for dinner. I lost my grandmother in 2020 to COVID-19, and this dish is not only a reminder of the wonderful times my family shared together, but it’s also a great reminder to cherish every moment with the ones you love.
- 5 lbs. freshly caught fish fillets (gutted, descaled and cut into fillets)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper to create the fish breading
- Add 1″ of oil to cast iron skillet and heat to 350 degrees
- Dredge the fillets
- Pan fry the fillets in the cast iron skillet
- Serve over slow-cooked stone ground grits