Photo Credit: Hannah Forsberg
We think that a special Mom deserves a special dinner! Proof of the Pudding Chef Howard Garnel has created and shared recipes for an amazing 3 course dinner that’s a perfect fit for celebrating the women in your life. PRINT this blog for a full ingredients list and cooking instructions for: Garlic and Dijon Rack of Lamb, Pecan, Apple and Goat Cheese Salad, and Chipotle Chocolate Soufflé. It’s an impressive, but easy to prepare meal – you’ll be sure to make Mom happy with a home cooked meal that you’ve prepared with a little POP love!
GARLIC & DIJON RACK OF LAMB
2 (8-rib) lamb rib roasts (2 to 2 1/2 pounds each), trimmed
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped fresh garlic
3 teaspoons pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup fresh herb focaccia breadcrumbs
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Rub lamb evenly with garlic, salt & pepper
2. Cook lamb in hot oil in a large skillet over high heat 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place lamb, fat side up, on a rack in broiling pan.
3. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 135°.
4. Remove lamb from oven; leaving oven on. Cover lamb loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand 10 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 140°.
5. Brush lamb with mustard; cover with breadcrumbs. Return lamb to oven, and bake 4 to 5 minutes or until golden. Cut into chops, and serve.
6. Note, 1 cup fresh French breadcrumbs may be substituted. Focaccia is a flat Italian bread that can be found in the bakery section of grocery stores.
PECAN, APPLE, GOAT CHEESE SALAD
1/2 cup pecan halves
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound assorted mushrooms, trimmed and coarsely chopped
Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette, divided—see recipe
1 (4-oz.) package arugula, thoroughly washed
1 large Cameo apple, thinly sliced
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
HONEY THYME BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons honey
Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT VINAIGRETTE:
1. Whisk together first 5 ingredients until blended. Whisk in salt and pepper to taste.
HOW TO MAKE SALAD:
1. Place walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in 2 Tbsp. Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette. Remove from heat, and let cool 15 minutes.
4. Toss together arugula, apple, mushrooms, and desired amount of Honey-Thyme Balsamic Vinaigrette. Transfer to a serving dish, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts and goat cheese.
CHIPOTLE CHOCOLATE SOUFFLE
2 teaspoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar
1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Scant sprinkle of chipotle powder
4 egg whites
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Grease bottom and sides of 4 (6-oz.) ramekins or 4 (1-cup) stainless steel dry measuring cups evenly with butter. Lightly coat bottom and sides with sugar, shaking out excess. Place cups on a baking sheet; set aside.
2. Microwave chocolate and jam in a small microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 1 1/2 minutes, stirring at 30-second intervals until melted. Stir in vanilla and chipotle powder.
3. Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Stir about one-third of egg whites into chocolate mixture. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining egg whites. Spoon evenly into ramekins. Run tip of thumb around edges of each ramekin, wiping clean and creating a shallow indentation around outside edge of egg mixture.
4. Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until soufflés rise and begin to brown on top.
Bon Appétit for a Happy Mother’s Day!